Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Writing yourself into the story

I have really never once since leaving the fifth grade wanted to be back there. Not that fifth grade was bad--in fact, I had a fabulous teacher who had colored contact lenses to match her outfits (this in 1971), and I thought she was great. It was a whole lot better than sixth grade, now that I think about it. Still, I was one of those kids who wants to grow up, the sooner the better, and I've rarely if ever had the nostalgic impulse to return to an earlier stage of me.

But if I were to be in fifth grade again, I'd want to be in Lelac Almagor's class at the National Cathedral School for girls in DC, if only to do this exercise. What a great story!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great exercise (and what a neat teacher!) Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete