Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Reading

Nick was sick last week, which meant I watched a bunch of not-so-great kid movies (you can skip the new Charlotte's Web, for example, and also Madagascar) and, once he felt a little better, I read a lot as well. (We did manage a trip to the library.)

I read, in quick succession, Diana Wynne Jones' The Pinhoe Egg (another Chrestomanci book, and maybe the best); Markus Zusak's The Book Thief (one of last year's Printz Honor Books); The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron (last year's Newbery Award winner: the famous "scrotum" book); and, in a reprise of my early teen years, Judy Blume's Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

I expect I'll have more to say about the Patron and Blume books in a column at some point, and I'm going to write about Diana Wynne Jones in my academic book on children's fantasy and theology. But I want to try to say something about The Book Thief, which is a terrific book. It took me a while to get into it, I have to say. Death is the narrator, after all, and he's, well, not the most inviting guy. This is a risk, but worth taking. My favorite part of the book is an inserted picture book, written by one character for another, partway through: it's just lovely in itself, and also a wonderful meditation on the power of words to both harm and heal.

All four books, somewhat to my surprise, turn out to be not only about religion but are, I believe, religious books. All take up questions of belief--Margaret the most obviously, but Lucky runs it a close second. In those two, the main characters are trying to find something to believe in, looking for a "higher power" to take control. (Spoiler alert: it doesn't really work, but things turn out ok.) In both The Pinhoe Egg and The Book Thief--books that might not normally be discussed together, but it's my blog so I can do what I want--the great danger is unexamined belief, and it can only be combated by those too foolish to know it can't really be combated at all. The Book Thief, a Holocaust novel, is surprisingly funny in places (and beautiful throughout), while The Pinhoe Egg, a humorous fantasy, is surprisingly solemn in places (and funny throughout).

I still have four books on my stack, but with the last two weeks of classes coming up I may not get to them quickly. But I made a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment