Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Read a (banned) book

It's banned book week again, the week when the American Library Association reminds us that "free people read freely." I'm proud to say I've read 2007's most challenged book, though there are several on last year's list that I haven't read yet. It turns out that this fall I'm only teaching one book* on the 100 most challenged books 2000-2007 list, but I'll try to make up for it by reminding my students of the issue--in fact, one of their research paper assignments asks them to look into a challenge and analyze it.

For more on book challenges and the like, check out Little Willow's great post over at Bildungsroman. And let me know your favorite banned/challenged book.**

*Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, #65.

**I think mine from the most recent list would be the His Dark Materials trilogy, though there are many great contenders.

1 comment: