Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Sad Books

SuperBowl Sunday. We're sitting on the couch, nine-year-old Nick between Mark and me. I'm knitting, Nick is reading; only Mark is giving his full attention to the game. At some point, I look over Nick's shoulder and see the arresting illustration from Bridge to Terabithia: a silhouette of Jess's father holding his shattered son, who has just learned of his best friend's death. I put my arm around Nick.

"It's sad there, isn't it?"

read the rest over at LiteraryMama.com

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your column.

    I've been meaning to reread BTT since you read from it for banned books day. Maybe I'll read it instead of doing work tonight - for a good cry, along with some power vinyasa...

    ReplyDelete