Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Friday, June 08, 2007

One down

I'm not going to blog every time I finish a book this weekend, but I thought I'd mark the first one. I nearly quit on Psyche in a Dress partway through. I wasn't sure I could take any more Francesca Lia Block being poetic about child abuse. (If you've read I was a Teenage Fairy you know what I mean.) This one's not just "poetic" but actually poetry: free verse retellings of Greek myths in Hollywood garb. Psyche becomes Echo becomes Eurydice becomes Persephone becomes Demeter--and in that circle of females it's not quite clear that our heroine can break out of the cycle of abuse, but maybe. I think I would have loved this when I was a teenager: it would have made me feel smart, and capable of handling "important" themes. It would have validated my desire to be more intense, more "deep," than I really was. But even Demeter makes me tired now--too much self-sacrifice, too much angst! Still, it gets better as it goes on. And, as promised, it's very short.

Next up: I haven't quite decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment