Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Reading and Writing

Since the end of the semester I've read 23 books. Really more--I haven't counted the three Harry Potter novels I've reread so far, for example. 23 that I had either never read before or (Roll of Thunder, anyone?) had forgotten ever reading before. I'm also partway through at least three other novels, and am in the luxurious position of being able to start a book and decide I just won't finish it.

I haven't written nearly as much as I'd like to since semester's end. I did finish up a column, of course, and I've actually gotten started with a writing group, I think. But there has to be a lot more reading before the writing really gets moving.

In the meantime I have today finished a draft of the most boring writing I do every year. More boring than the syllabus (which is actually quite fun to write) or the committee report, the annual review is one big exercise in tedium. After all, I already did the stuff; now it's just reporting and (even worse) collating.

Nonetheless, it's almost done, and then I can move on to...article revisions! Whoopee!

1 comment:

  1. hey - btw - I read Gaiman and somebody else's Interworld... eh so-so... they have a kinda cool concept of balancing magic worlds and technological worlds (art and science -- reminded me of Crossan), but the book started off as an idea for a TV series or something, so it's a bit too much for a short book, or maybe a bit rushed/poorly planned in the writing. Not sure. I was a little bummed.

    And Pullman's The Scarecrow and his Servant didn't do it for me either. Pratchett would have rocked a story like that I think, but Pullman... I don't know... it kind of stunk, I thought. Seemed like the real Pinocchio - a series of events that don't seem all that important or intelligently conceived.

    But Phantom Tollbooth rocked -- I assume you've read it? Rhyme and Reason as women/princesses... sort of like the art/science balance I guess. Lovely, or at least I thought so. As was Olsen's Tell Me a Riddle.

    congrats on the progress! rock on

    ReplyDelete