Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Larklight

I just finished Larklight, by Philip Reeve, and I am kicking myself for not reading it sooner! (Of course, the advantage of waiting is that the sequel, Starcross, is already out. The third book comes out in November.) It's been on my TBR list forever, but somehow I was easily discouraged when I didn't find it the first time I looked for it. Then I was in the library looking for something entirely different (um, Eclipse, hangs head), and there it was.

And here's what's in it: Victorian space travel. Giant spiders. All kinds of amazing aliens. The Crystal Palace. Space pirates. The British Empire, extended into space. Orphans. Or maybe not. And a Victorian brother and sister who start out fulfilling their stereotypical roles, and end up...not. Oh, it's wonderful.

Now off to find Starcross...

No comments:

Post a Comment