Musings on children's and YA literature, the academy, and the relationship between them, from an English professor and mother.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Talk amongst yourselves

Posting has really fallen off here this week--and, if I'm honest, all semester. I've had a hard time keeping up with any outside reading and that leaves me less to talk about here. That said, I'm blogging elsewhere, and I realize I've forgotten to link to the discussion here. So if you want to read up on the shape of academic careers, and the difficulty of balancing work and family, here's a list of links for you. Discuss.

Tedra Osell gives advice to someone considering academe.

I follow up with some ideas about career ladders and lattices (original NYT article here).

Dana Campbell chimes in.

Laura McKenna at 11D joined the conversation about now; she also noted that ProfGrrrl, Professing Mama, and GeekyMom had more to say.

[edited to add] Wendy at Outside Providence has made her own luck, and talks about it here.

Tedra and I each blogged about it again the following week, and Aeron Haynie's next post also brings up a relevant point about including the dads.

Whew! After all that, do you think we've solved the problems of the universe yet?

Yeah, me neither. And now I need to grade some more papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment